Monday, November 21, 2011

Keep your game face on

After having 3 babies early at 37 or 38 weeks, it felt like pure torture to be pregnant with my 4th for 40 weeks and 2 DAYS!!!  I felt like I was approaching the finish line in a marathon, and then someone moved it further out at the very last second.  Its all about your expectations!  This time I will be prepared.  No packing of a hospital bag at 35 weeks.  No cute little newborn baby items laying around mocking me that indeed, I am still pregnant.  In fact, at 36 weeks I am trying to forget that I am even pregnant at all.  36 weeks is only the beginning (of the end).  Which can start to feel very long.  No predictions of an early delivery here folks, and if anyone makes a statement toward that end out loud, I just quickly point out that we have a FULL FOUR WEEKS to go.  At least!  Lets all just sit back and talk about something other than the baby that will not be born for a very long, long time.

While we are on the subject, here are some things to never say out loud to a pregnant lady:

“Wow!  You look like you’re about ready to drop that load!”  (strange man in an elevator)

“You must be having twins!”  (gas station attendant)

Generally, commenting on the impressive size, contour, or dimensions of a strange person’s body is not going to be well received and creates awkwardness.  But for some reason, pregnancy seems to cause people to throw their social inhibitions to the wind. Really, unless you are another very huge pregnant lady, it would be okay to NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hang in there! Thanks for the books, we've had lots of time for reading the last few days.