Saturday, December 10, 2011

I heart my new blender

Recently Jason and I were out on a daytime date and found ourselves wandering around Costco.  Yes I know we are sad.  But this rare opportunity to shop without children caused us to pause for samples at the fancy blender demo that happened to be taking place that day.  I have always thought of these appliances as ridiculously overpriced as-seen-on-tv type gimmicks.  However, I have recently been exploring some vegan cookbooks and blogs in an effort to increase the proportion of vegetables in our family diet.  And the seed of temptation was planted when the authors kept mentioning, “and now I throw all that in the Vitamix.”

So we watched the guy (who was a skilled salesman and fancy blender operator) effortlessly make ice cream!  hot soup!  lemonade!  smoothies!  in seconds.  And I am embarrassed to admit, we were sold.

Now, I am not trying to sell anyone a fancy blender, but let me just say that this has really helped us with our vegetable eating goals!

My 3 favorite things to make so far:  green smoothies, green soup, and “ice cream” which is really just fruit and milk blended with ice.  The kids all love it!  And we’re eating up huge packages of organic kale and spinach every week in addition to the fruit and raw almonds in the smoothies.  I find myself actually craving all the fresh, raw green stuff that I put in the smoothies we have been making for breakfast almost every day.  In the summer I look forward to making popsicles and baby food with this too!

IMG_0581

DSCN1903

This blender is great because:  Its easy to clean- nothing to take apart like a normal blender or food processor.  Its really powerful- it even breaks up the seeds in berries.  It fits under my counter and is really easy to move and store away if needed.  The programmed buttons for “soup” and “whole juice” and “ice cream” are handy in addition to the manual speed control.  I haven’t smoked out the motor yet like I have nearly every time I used my old oster blender.

So there you have it!  Happy vegetable eating!

No comments: